Thursday, August 2, 2012

Routine





                Settling into a routine is nice and the lack of new stimuli leaves me more time to spend with my thoughts. I dig it. Myself and I are really getting to know each other. I’ve been doing a lot of journaling and hours of reading. The rain hasn’t stopped since Sunday so I find myself spending more time in my room than last week. My bed has become my slice of home in India. I have my flannel wearing aardvark, my books, my beautiful red journal, my phone, my ipod, and my laptop all within reach while I make room for myself in my tiny twin bed. I try to stay out of the living room now because some of the girls hung up their laundry in there and the damp air is not conducive to drying clothes. So, the living room smells sour and I’m not going to be the one to break the news to them….
                Because I’m establishing a routine, my days consist of more of the same. Thanks to my wonderful friend at home, Catherine, I had a very successful day of teaching English to my little Indian kids. They stayed engaged and wrote some very creative sentences. Today poor Ellen was sick so I taught by myself which is a bit of a challenge when your class ranges from 6 to 12 year olds. I feel like it went well and I put my best effort and my heart into it and no one can ask for more than that! I taught them “If You’re Happy and you Know it” and the LOVED IT. Ah, they are just too cute. We have enough simple games in our repertoire now that I let them request games and I don’t hesitate to move on when they get restless or rowdy.           
                After my kids, I alwys enjoy a peaceful lunch break with myself or with some of the other volunteers before I head to the monastery. Today, a cow had made its way into the hall by my monk’s room and was taking a nap, sheltered from the rain. At first, I just walked right by it. That’s when I realized I’m starting to assimilate to some of India’s norms. If there was a cow sleeping in a hall at home, people would be freaking out! I had to laugh at this and take the cow’s picture.
                Every day that I spend with Dhondulp fulfills me. Today he told me that when he was in New York, he was trying to dial out of the country. Well, one of India’s national codes or area codes starts with 91. Dhondulp dialed out incorrectly and ended up calling 911 not one, not two, not three, but four times. He told me that the operator finally said “what the hell do you want!?” Dhondulp kept asking for someone named Suri. When the operator answered he kept asking “are you Suri’s uncle? Are you Suri’s father?” Dhondulp had me in hysterics while I sad across from him on my cushion on his floor. He looks at me and said “Kristen, I was big confused! But don’t worry, I learn now!” Love that man…. He also decided that we had to go to his favorite café so that I could try his favorite coffee, quiche, and lemon cake. So, we did our lesson in the café today where he called his cousin to come join us so that she could meet me. I thought it was sweet that he’d introduce a family member to his English teacher. When she left, I said “Dhondulp, your cousin is beautiful.” He just said “I don’t think so….”
                After my projects today I decided that after four days, it was time to take a shower. Big mistake. As soon as I got wet the water turned cold and the water pressure started to rapidly decline. So trying to hurry, I rushed through shampooing and rinsing and when my hair was clean I started to soap up. As soon as I was ready to rinse off, the water stopped completely. So, not only am I shivering but I’m covered in soap. The rest of my bathing process had to take place using the even colder water from the sink. My goodness, I’m getting so many new experiences here!
                After recovering from shower hypothermia, the group of us braved the rain and went out with another group of volunteers to an Italian restaurant. It was actually pretty good. However, I find myself only craving Indian food all day everyday as if my palate was just made for this country! It’s funny, for some reason I expected India to be so different that it would seem like another world. Don’t get me wrong, there are aspects that are drastically different. However, humans are humans no matter where in the world they live or find themselves. Though I’m in a country completely different from my own, I observe the families, couples, people, friends, etc around me and I realize that I’m not as far from home as I thought. Families are out to dinner together, couples hold hands, friends laugh and try to push each other into the gutter, girls giggle as they share an umbrella with each other in the rain, toddlers cry for their mamas when they trip on the street, some people look forlorn, and others smell like loneliness.  That’s all part of the human condition. Every human condition no matter where you are and it comforts me because no matter where I am, I know that I will always be able to find someone to relate to…

1 comment: