Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Rain, rain, go away....


                Apparently the monsoon officially hit yesterday. Not only is the power off about half of the time but this also means that every time I leave my house in my raincoat and carrying my umbrella, I still get soaking wet. I walk everywhere here and am just trying to accept and get used to the fact that I will just be damp for the next two and a half weeks. Good thing I over packed my suitcase because the damp air doesn’t allow our clothes to dry. My roommate hung a close line in the living room and her clothes dangle wet and limp on it three days later. Ick.
                Weather aside, Dhondulp and the kids at the center bring a lot of warmth to my day. I taught them hot potato yesterday and Ellen played Beetles tunes on her phone and they absolutely loved it. I am down to play any game with them that keeps them giggling. We are continuing to practice English every day and their enthusiasm continues to amaze me.
                I love the children but Dhondulp is the highlight of my day. He is so kind and light hearted that I can’t help but become infected with is demeanor. Yesterday I ended up staying for three and a half hours even though our lesson is supposed to be one and a half hours every day. Dhondulp showed me some documentaries in English about the struggle of the Tibetan people. It was very informative and he would often pause the movie to elaborate certain points or ask me what the narrator was saying during the really dense parts of the documentaries. Though the films were about a very depressing and “close to home” subject, Dhondulp would burst out laughing at certain parts. “Look at that man in those big glasses, he look funny!” My favorite was when the documentary was showing footage about the Tibetan soldiers training and practicing guerilla warfare and Dhondulp started laughing hysterically and said “they really do look like gorillas, of course they fight bad!” Dhondulp’s sense of humor about everything reminds me of an interview  I saw with the Dalia Lama. He was talking about how in Buddhism, one must try to find humor in the midst of all suffering. I feel like Dhondulp has mastered this almost impossible task.
                After watching our documentaries and going over Dhondulp’s homework, he gave me tea and cookies and then walked me home. It was raining so he brought a giant umbrella with all of the colors of the rainbow on it for us. I loved the way he looked in his burgundy cloth monk uniform with its yellow trim on the sleeves, his brown Adidas shoes, and his colorful rainbow umbrella in hand. To me, Dhondulp encompasses pure kindness and I already know that he will be the hardest piece of India to leave behind…
                I got home too late for yoga so I ended up reading for over an hour. The moments that Dharamsala forces me to relax, usually because the whole town doesn’t have power, always prove to be centering. After my relaxation, I braved the rain begrudgingly. By this time it was coming down in sheets and blowing slanted but we had agreed to meet our coordinator and some new volunteers on the other side of town for dinner. We all arrived dripping wet to the nicest restaurant here called Tenor. My roommates and I shared a variety of paneer, lentil, and cashew dishes. We keep asking for it to be spicy but it never is! Our coordinator said it’s because we are white and they think white girls can’t handle spicy and to show them I could I asked for a side of chili paste and loaded my plate up with it. Maybe next time he will believe the little white girl with yellow hair who just can’t get enough of spicy food!
                Reading and talking about Buddhism naturally has me thinking a lot about suffering. It’s interesting timing because in the past few weeks I’ve seen more suffering than I have in my entire 26 years of life. Though, I’ve seen the most potent amount of suffering here, I’ve also experienced and witnessed a great amount of love. While there are people living in homes made of trash, there are monks here radiating compassion and there are people I’ve met from all over the world who have traveled here to lend hands, love, experience, and inspiration. The two extremes, and they are indeed extremes compared to life at home, balance and the end result seems to be just as balanced to the smaller amount of suffering and smaller amount of compassion I feel in the suburbs at home. Though, I don’t want to make a stereotype about where I’m from because I’ve met some incredible and extremely compassionate people in the suburbs. I feel like these people should be in India with me but I take comfort knowing that they are being loving and inspirational in the place that I will return “home” to…

No comments:

Post a Comment